Troubleshooting a designed model is one of the most important concerns among jewelry designers and CAD artists. There are many different situations that makes your object to be OPEN (aka non-watertight) which prevents your final mesh from being 3D printed. In this tutorial we are going to talk about how to deal with such problems and introduce many different ways of dealing with them using simple rhinoceros commands
Here are a few commands and approaches to cap a non-plannar edge:
1. fill the hole using a simple primitive rhino polysurface and weld them using boolean union command
2. Use dupborder command to create a curve on the open edge the use rail revolve and then join to cap it.
3. Project duplicated edge to cplane and use loft command between projected curve and the edge, now you are able to use cap command.
4. Split duplicated border in two and use loft to connect them together Or use a profile curve and sweep2 them together by 2 point and the profile curve
5. Use D.Loft plugin and utilize splitted dupped border Or use VSR shape modeling plugin to cap some certain edges.
Make sure to watch the video for complete walkthough in this process and leave your ways of fixing this problem in the comment section below.